Local Fat Reduction
Local Fat Reduction
The non-surgical fat reduction includes minimally invasive treatments that selectively break down fat cells in specific areas to reduce the size of subcutaneous fat pockets (fat deposits that sit beneath the skin but above the muscle). Several FDA-cleared treatments are available, each achieving gradual, modest fat loss without surgery or downtime.
Benefits of non-surgical fat reduction:
- Little to no downtime is required.
- No general anesthesia, incisions, or scars
- Side effects are minimal for most patients.
- Gradual onset of results allows patients to be discreet about treatments.
- Results can last as long as a patient maintains weight
We outline the most popular non-invasive fat-reduction methods approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Most take less than two hours per treatment, requiring minimal downtime or incisions. Remember that these non-surgical fat-removal procedures can permanently remove fat cells, but preserving long-lasting results requires following a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a stable weight.
- Fat freezing treatments (Cryolipolysis), such as CoolSculpting®, place a cupped device on the skin using extreme cold to freeze unwanted fat cells in specific body areas. As the frozen fat cells die, they are naturally eliminated and permanently removed by the body.
- Laser fat removal treatments, such as SculpSure®, use controlled heat to break down and permanently destroy unwanted fat cells.
- Radiofrequency treatments and technology, such as Vanquish, use magnetic waves to heat and melt away fat cells without touching the skin.
- Ultrasound therapy and technology, such as UltraShape and Liposonix, use focused sonic waves to gradually break down fat cell walls in the abdominal area. The treatment doesn’t impact the surrounding tissue, so there’s no bruising or swelling following the procedure.
- Red light therapy for weight loss, such as UltraSlim®, delivers wavelengths of light that shrink selected fat cells in the abdomen, hips, and thighs while tightening and smoothing skin.
- Much like traditional liposuction, non-surgical lipo removes small fat deposits from your body. However, SmartLipo® uses laser heat combined with small fiber optic cables under the skin to the target area to break down the fat cells for your body to reabsorb. Laser lipo is not entirely non-invasive but requires minimal incisions and suction or massage to help remove the fat. It also has a lower risk of ending up with loose skin afterward compared to traditional liposuction.
- ThermaLipo combines laser liposuction and radiofrequency to help reduce cellulite and create a smooth, contoured appearance. Because it uses laser liposuction, the procedure is not entirely non-invasive, but a local anesthetic will help you remain comfortable.
- Emsculpt Neo combines muscle stimulation and radiofrequency to melt away fat while toning muscle and tightening skin. Completely non-invasive, Emsculpt NEO is the only non-invasive fat removal option that simultaneously treats all three (fat, muscle, and skin)